GameHounds Episode 24: Hawkes Hates Again!

6 Jul 2008

You know, we knew it wouldn’t last.

Hawkes swore off the hate a mere three weeks ago, and this week he rediscovers that rancid little black part of his soul. Edie also finds a good reason to be pissed off, and not just because the one-week mark to E3 and the holiday weekend combined to dry up any hint of really hard gaming news.

Welcome back, Mr. Hawkes. That hate eats your gut, but we love you more for it.

Topics and links after the jump…

This week, Hawkes and Edie discuss:

10 Responses to GameHounds Episode 24: Hawkes Hates Again!

Slymanx

July 6th, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Hawkes, for Fallout, did you use a custom character for Fallout? If you use the pre-created characters, your NOT going to like it. I remember, the first time I played Fallout, I hated it. I gave it another chance, and I fell in love with it. Hit me up on AIM, I’ll help you start. First of all, make sure you head out to NMA to get some info on how to play. http://www.NoMutantsAllowed.com Really, talk to me on AIM, I’ll explain the amazingness of this game. My screename is Minusfahrenheit, but I think you already have it. As for why “Oblivion with Guns” is a bad thing. Oblivion is the boarderline retarded sequel to Daggerfall, while Morrowind is severely dumbed down. Let me say it once: Oblivion is NOT an RPG. It is an action game that looks like an RPG. It would take me about ten pages to explain it, So I STRONGLY suggest you read this article. http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34770&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Slymanx

July 6th, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Honestly, I know I’m going to enjoy Fallout 3, but if I look at it as a sequel to Fallout 1 & 2, I will despise it. A sequel doesn’t change the formula THAT much. If it was called Fallout: East Coast, or something along the lines, I wouldn’t dislike the idea so much. Bethesda has taken a Turn-Based, Isometric, Roleplaying game, into a twitch-based, first person shooter with some role playing elements. One of my BIGGEST complaints, is the existence of the “Fatman”: a Portable Nuke that seems to be used freely and generously throughout the game. In previous installments, the game ended with a Nuke; each title had ONE nuke, used to destroy some great evil. (The VATS in Fallout 1 and the Enclave in Fallout 2. People weren’t about to use the weapon that destroyed their civilization in the first place. It is completely opposite of what lore has told us. One other grip is Bethesda’s decision to turn away Fallout Dev’s from the original series. Not even as consultants would they take them in. Bethesda is arrogant. Also, the super mutants weren’t these mindless-beserkers that killed everything in site. They weren’t created by the radiation of the fallout. They were developed by the Master in Fallout 1 using the VATS. They were to be a super army for taking over the world. They were intelligent, and after the master’s death, acted like normal, kind, people. In fact, a settlement in Fallout 2 has Humans, Ghouls, and Supermutants living together. Ghouls were also peaceful for the most part. Bethesda has trivialized these characters. Another issue is the lack of choice in Fallout 3. In previous installments, you could get through the entire game without firing a shot. Heck, you could even convince the final boss in Fallout 1 to kill himself. (Kinda like Saren in Mass Effect.) Fallout 3 won’t be similar in this case. I wish I could explain it all, but it would take way to long to do. Edie and Hawkes, and anyone else who would like to talk to me about it, talk to me on IM, my screename is MinusFahrenheit.

Walter Mondale

July 7th, 2008 at 12:04 am

I’d like to point out that the horse armor from Oblivion actually doubled the health of the horse you put it on (up to a maximum of 750hp) – so the Ninja Gaiden 2 costume packs are worse than horse armor.

dave19711998

July 7th, 2008 at 1:57 am

Taking into account Mr Oasis state of mind, he probably was reading an autocue. He reminds me of a Lenny Henry video.

In the video Lenny talks about Mick Jagger’s daughter getting kicked out of school and I loved what Lenny Henry imagined Mick saying to Jade his daughter. “Jade; I’m disappointed with you. When I was your age I had already been kicked out of 3 schools.” I think that Noel whats-his-name, probably reads the Sun newspaper and didn’t find out for himself what the truth really is.

On another topic. Here are links to replacement manuals for the fallout games.

Fallout

Fallout 2

I hope it’s useful to you Hawks.

July 7th, 2008 at 8:59 am

I had a feeling I’d get advice if I put that out there.. :) I’m going to work on it again.

July 7th, 2008 at 9:25 am

Antonuccci puts Spore Creature Creature on his top 10 games list. This thing isn’t even a game… its a tool for a game.

His exclusion of MGS4 is not a big deal to me. I would exclude it myself. I just find it to be dull and boring. It has som egreat technological advancements, but, I find it to me a shoddy movie interrupted by brief excerpts of gameplay.

dave19711998

July 7th, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Here are links to replacement manuals for the fallout games.

Fallout

Fallout 2

I hope it’s useful to you Hawks.

Murphys Law @ couchmercenaries.com

July 7th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Well another fine show. As for the hot topic… I totally understand the frustration created by Antonucci’s top 10 list…. but honestly top 10 lists by their very nature are subjective/opinionated pieces. So to call a writer out for giving his top 10 list in his blog journal regardless where he works is fair enough, but to cry for him to be fired? Well, I certainly wouldn’t go that far.

Good show…I look forward to your E3 coverage.

Chris "Lefty" Brown

July 8th, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Another great episode. Loved the analogy of a food critic not even going to the restaurant to review it.

Once again you two are making a rancor of salient points amid the plethora of four-lettered word fueled rage.

And it’s made even better when Edie doesn’t have cigs to calm her down!

name