GameHounds Episode 36: Zombie Apocalypse

5 Oct 2008

Ahhh. The GameHounds staff loves it when things get back to normal. Cooper Hawkes is back and drinking Southern Comfort, and Edie Sellers is sober and drinking water.

Two great things that go great together, especially when it comes to a podcast.

This week, Edie and Hawkes delve into a host of topics, including Alan Wake, the new Gears of War Zune, Sony’s Tokyo Game Show debut rumors, how Bungie pissed off the UK, and how EA pissed off retired NFL players.

They also launch the latest Listener Appreication Month contest, in which you could win a GAF Viewmaster full of Fallout 3 screenshots and a bottle of real Nuka Cola — both media swag from Bethesda’s E3 appearance.

Check out the show notes and links for all da cool stuff after the jump…

Oh yeah, and these show notes thanks to Jong-Sun Yi, who reminded me no matter how drunk or tired we are, it’s really important to write this shit up.

On this week’s sh0w, Edie and Hawkes discuss:

Oh yeah. And because we promised:

Beware the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! Particularly if those undead bastards are carrying Legos.

15 Responses to GameHounds Episode 36: Zombie Apocalypse

Platform Nation » Blog Archive » GameHounds Episode 36: Zombie Apocalypse

October 5th, 2008 at 5:53 pm

[...] (more…) Like what you see? Help PN by promoting us with the links below: [...]

Bodabo 420

October 5th, 2008 at 6:55 pm

lol I want to enter the contest this week but im not going to…..

Great show

October 6th, 2008 at 5:53 am

weird… downloaded it to my zune and its all sped up!

Just have to re download it

October 6th, 2008 at 8:55 am

The EA thing isn’t quite as nefarious as it sounds. It’s basically the same thing that unlicensed sports games have been doing since the dawn of consoles: make the teams and players as close to the real players as possible, without using their actual names and likenesses.

I’m really surprised that MS hasn’t already offered movies from the Marketplace for Zune. You’ve been able to grab portable, PSP and iPod versions of video content on PSN for months now. If Sony can do it, MS sure as hell can.

Speaking of PSP, you can hack a PSP slim without messing with the hardware. There’s a software exploit in GTA Vice City Stories that permits it. I’m sure Google could explain the whole sordid business to you. ;-)

dave19711998

October 7th, 2008 at 3:53 am

I surprise that you have never heard of Rtype. It was big on the PCEngine and SNES.

As regards to this Maddie thing; coming from an English man. You will find that the only people who got upset about this, read the Daily Mail and Express newspapers. Children go missing here everyday too but not as many are as photogenic as she was.

Trust me when I say this. After six months of constant bombardment, I was sick as of the sight of the parents as anyone else here. I bet you that one of the newspapers picked up on it.

I watched the trailer and didn’t even notice this reference and most british wouldn’t have spotted it either.

Gemini Ace

October 7th, 2008 at 9:06 am

Totally disagree on the used game thing. Just because I’m buying used shouldn’t mean I’m getting less. It’s the same disc. I’m still going to buy Gears 2, but this is just one more way that these companies are trying to screw us around. It’s only going to get worse.

October 7th, 2008 at 11:54 am

Let me amend:

“Hey, aren’t we a VIDEO gaming podcast?”

October 7th, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I can bring a gun to a knife fight, would that work? :)

October 7th, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Nice contest. Did you mean that question to be tricky (see my entry)?

October 7th, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Have to disagree with Gemini Ace on this one. They aren’t screwing people who are buying used. They still get the game. They just aren’t getting the free DLC that the people who buy the game from them get. They are just trying to get their fair share. Gamestops used games sales provide no more revenue to the developers and publishers of games than pirated games provide them.

PC games have no seconday market, are you getting screwed on every pc game released?

October 7th, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Have to agree with Gemini on this one. :) I don’t have a problem with the general concept of bonus DLC, but to me maps are different because if you don’t have MP maps, it divides the audience (or forces them to pay for the DLC – which is worse here if they stick to their ‘it won’t ever be paid DLC’ story).

I think that PC games are different, partly because they are usually $10 cheaper than console versions and because the secondary market *is* piracy.

Gears 2 was not on my buy at launch list, so probably now it drops the rest of the way off my list. C’est la vie.

xX6Kacper6Xx

October 7th, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I know that it the concept of early bird bonuses that might bother some people, in this case, it’s just a bunch of multiplayer maps. Only the hardcore multiplayer players will want this anyway becasue they will be bored of the same maps. The casual audience wouldn’t mind. Thats who these bonuses are for, the real players who will want this first thing. If they did this with a single player expansion, it would be differant. If they also had a voucher for the next expansion it might be differant. Not everyone might want extra maps for a game, but a lot of people would want the singleplayer if it built upon the story.

October 7th, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Rock Band 2 did the same thing. Inside your Rock Band 2 manual is a code to download 20 additional songs later this year.

I think we are going to see more of this as an effort to hinder the Gamestop market.

Me, I think it would be swell to buy the AC/DC pack, use the code to write the songs into RB2, then sell the disc with the useless code to Gamestop. They would probably be willing to pay for this title as they can not even buy it new.

October 7th, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Little more thinking about this one, there is a decent chance that you could still even find a working code at Gamestop, since people who sell the game a week after it releases probably won’t redeem the code for MP maps. ;)

October 7th, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I’m all for hindering the Gamestop market, though preferably by giving people an incentive to hang onto games and not sell them in the first place.

Of course, with digital distribution, this little problem goes away (to be replaced by others, I am sure.)