Humpdate 12-9-08

11 Dec 2008

Yes, the long, long three-day wait is ovahh!

The new Humpdate is here and ready for your enjoyment and scorn. Because we aim to do both.

This week, Commander Tim returns for a more regular kind of Humpdate — one with 100 percent fewer stories about scars.

… and 100 percent more gaming news.

This week, Edie and Commander Tim discuss:

7 Responses to Humpdate 12-9-08

Commander Tim

December 11th, 2008 at 10:51 am

I totally screwed up on the Giga Wing 2 publisher.

Takumi did the Giga Wing series for Capcom.

8ing did 1944: Loop Master and Dimahoo (also great games) for Capcom.

I blame the beer.

December 11th, 2008 at 11:21 am

Beer is thinking juice, don’t let anyone tell you different!

December 11th, 2008 at 9:14 pm

First off, it’s a pretty darn good list–much better than I would have expected from Time magazine. It certainly wouldn’t match mine, but I have a tough time finding too many faults with it (as you both acknowledged, these things are entirely subjective). Secondly, it’s not like they just tapped some temp from the secretarial pool to compile the list. Lev Grossman tends to know what he’s talking about and, I’d be willing to wager, plays a hell of a lot more video games than a number of podcast hosts. He explained his choices fairly well, I thought:

“The way I see it, the basic problem facing any listmaker this year is that most of the games were either big or clever but not both. Gears 2, Dead Space, Rock Band 2: big but not clever. Braid, lots of little Flash and iPod games like Hunted Forever and Fieldrunners: clever but not big. (Spore: big and clever, but not really that much fun.) Then there are the games that I know in some objective sense are “good” but that I just found hideously boring, like Fallout 3. It’s not you, it’s me. I know I have a problem, but I just can’t put a game on there that drove me into fits of ennui. (Thank God I have “Kotaku” to tell me whether I got it right or not.)

At any rate, that’s how we ended up with GTA IV at number one. It’s big, clever and fun. Then Braid at number two: small, but fun and really really clever. Then LittleBigPlanet at number three: big, clever, and reasonably fun. You see how that goes.”

I enjoy critics’ lists at year’s end. Film, music, books–I always end up seeing media on their countdowns that I’ve never even heard of, and I do my best not to take umbrage if they’ve decided to pass on some of my personal favorites. I’ve found some real gems that I’d have otherwise overlooked that way. (In other words, Fieldrunners is actually a pretty damn good game)

Also, this is how I picture Commander Tim, not sure why:

Bodabo 420

December 11th, 2008 at 10:00 pm

I agree with mik for the most part. I did find your “dismissal” of the Time list a bit harsh but I could see where you were coming from.Tho I have not played Fable nor Fallout I cant say that those should have been on the list (I have never been a RPG fan or however you classify them).But I do agree with most of the list except the Iphone games which I have not tried yet but I will soon enough.I do really think GTA4 deserves the #1 spot on that list.I also agree with Rock Band 2 on that list (I would of had it at #2 personally) because that game just continues to deliver the satisfaction I always wanted in a music/rhythm game. I have yet to play GoW2 so I cant say anything about that.(I hated Gears 1 ) So I couldn’t see that being on my list , plus Ive heard some pretty bad things about that game (mostly good things but way to many bad things for a top title). Gears is just considered a top game because as you said they marketed the shit out of that game.Still didn’t convince me to buy it.. I know I sound a bit harsh as well but if you can do it so can I lol jk

Awesome show as always
Commander Tim for President lol

Hoshneer

December 12th, 2008 at 3:41 am

Great show! Tim is one of my favorite guest hosts.

December 12th, 2008 at 6:06 am

Good GOD do NOT compaire The great and Powerful Commander Tim with Billy Mitchell!! Tim would tear Billy’s throat out using the power of his mind, and eviscerate him with his long toe nails.

Billy Mitchell is a pussy compaired to the Commander!!

Commander Tim

December 15th, 2008 at 6:11 pm

“Billy Mitchell is a pussy compaired to the Commander!!”

It’s all true.

“I’m as cynical as anyone–trust me–but even I was a little mystified by your complete dismissal of the Time magazine top 10 list.”

Don’t be. I can be quite mystical.

“Great show! Tim is one of my favorite guest hosts.”

Mine too! Gosh.