GameHounds Episode 46: Podcast, Tim Style

15 Dec 2008

The little hand is on the thirteen and the big hand is on the elevendy-seven.

In the legendary words of Town Cryer, “The time is… very late.”

And thus, we’ll dispatch with this week’s show notes. Gamer Edie and Cooper Hawkes bring you, once again, the latest in gaming news. Topics they discuss include:

10 Responses to GameHounds Episode 46: Podcast, Tim Style

December 15th, 2008 at 4:13 am

Dammit, I guess my subscription isn’t enough to keep EGM afloat?

December 15th, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Have to 100% disagree with Hawkes on Rock Band content.

First you can’t give unlimited music out with the game. They have to pay royalties for that stuff to use it. After that you have to pay people to not only track it for guitar, but for Bass, Drums, and Vocals, then track it for all the difficulty levels as well. The money to pay for all that stuff has to be generated somewhere.

DLC for Rock Band is completely optional and helps to keep the game fresh. You buy what you like ala carte and son’t have to drop $60 on a pile of songs of which you only like maybe 50%.

December 16th, 2008 at 6:21 am

Hey, I kinda liked how it became a cinematic podcast there at the end. The precise term is a “tracking shot” I believe. Loved that movie! The pitch sequences are priceless.

Robb

December 16th, 2008 at 6:36 am

This is just a guess, but I suspect Wii Music was bundled with the recent surge of Wii sales. Another possibility is that people buying Wii this time of year are not as informed about the system and its games. Suggestive sales would probably try to unload the slower-moving games. Regardless, Edie still buys the beer.

December 16th, 2008 at 7:42 am

@MajMalfunction I’m aware that the record companies/talent want their cut, I just wish the pricing was much more reasonable, and that it didn’t seem like every week there’s 5 new albums you can download. Had the price included a digital copy of the song to listen to I probably wouldn’t be so damn bitter, but you are essentially paying for a song that has no use outside of a game. It’s another slippery slope situation if you ask me.

December 16th, 2008 at 10:57 am

No DLC has use outside of the game for which it was created. Were you sore that you couldn’t use the Bring Down the Sky DLC for Mass Effect as a board game as well?

As DLC goes, I think the Rock Band stuff is definitely fairly priced.

December 16th, 2008 at 11:13 am

@mik:

True, but I think Hawkes has a great idea – DLC is for the game per se, but what if buying DLC unlocked some other benefit, like a digital copy of the song being one possibility?

The marketing/sales possibilities could be quite lucrative if handled right.

December 16th, 2008 at 12:08 pm

That would be great–but it would be more expensive. Licensing music for a closed ecosystem like a video game is one thing, licensing it to be played on any media player/PC/whatever is entirely separate. Licensing it for both… $

Hoshneer

December 17th, 2008 at 3:16 am

I agree with Hawkes. The DLC needs a digital copy for playing on another device. The price you pay is way over-rated just so you can play it on the game itself.

Robb

December 17th, 2008 at 6:07 am

To add to my previous comment, Amazon had a special offer on Wii Music. When you bought the game, you got a $20 gift card (or credit). Now, poor Samba de Amigo is suffering a similar fate.