GameHounds Episode 50: Hungarian Hookers

11 Jan 2009

If you really want to understand that title, you’re just gonna have to listen.

We’d really like to give you the obligatory cute opening on this one, but it’s late for us and we’ve played too much Left 4 Dead to bother you with ornamental openers.

Instead, we’ll do us both a favor and just launch into this week’s topics.

Of note, Edie Sellers and co-host Cooper Hawkes discuss:

9 Responses to GameHounds Episode 50: Hungarian Hookers

January 12th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I am about half way through the new show, then I had to go fight some zombies. I hope to finish listening tonight. Thanks for the shout out that was pretty cool.

I talk about Left 4 Dead on my hockey podcast, and my hockey team this season is called Left 4 Dead and we wear green uniforms. (I think I need help.)

I hope you don’t mind I sent a FR to maybe play some Left 4 Dead.
Boomer!!!!!!

HG

Robb

January 12th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Here’s my interpretation of John Smedley’s quote:

“I think PS3 will be close to half our business [because we're losing so many customers to WoW, the PS3 is rapidly becoming half of our business]. There’s an audience now waiting for online games on the PS3. I believe PSN has over 15 million users today. It’s growing so quickly, we see a great user base potential there [we don't have the user base now, but we could if we tried real hard and drank Ovaltine].”

Tyeman64

January 12th, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Lol @ Robb. Thanks Edie for mentioning “sucking balls” while mentioning to Hawkes about EGM. So you guys know I can actually make good arguements and back up my claims if needed but nothing beats articulate, well though out opinions than telling UGO/Ziff Davis/Hearst to suck your balls lol

WillG

January 12th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Great show guys.

John Smedley is just desperate. Like Robb said, WOW killed Everquest, and Sony has to see that any other MMO better aim small to turn a profit. Like idiots, they refuse to adapt and instead think they are going to find success with the PS3. I think they very much overestimate console gamers willingness to adapt to the PC/MMO model. Unless they go with a different pricing structure, SOE is gonna be SOL.

I bought or subscribed to every EGM since issue#3 with the Wizards and Warriors sequal on the cover (IronSword I think). The death of EGM and to a lesser extent 1up, means the death of the integrity of mainstream gaming journalism. The bloggers will have to take up that mantle now. God help us.

Steve Vice

January 13th, 2009 at 3:17 am

“The death of EGM and to a lesser extent 1up, means the death of the integrity of mainstream gaming journalism. The bloggers will have to take up that mantle now. God help us.”

You americans really amuse me, sorry to sound patronizing but really. Ever heard of a magazine called Edge, from over the pond? It’s a gaming magazine that unlike EGM and the rest of the crap US magazines has learned to adapt to the fact that they can’t bring it faster and better than the internet, so they are an feature driven highly intellectual games magazine. The writing there is sharper than anything you’d find on the internet, except for the days of Greg Kasavin at Gamespot, and it should be every game journalists wet dream to work for Edge. Look into it.

Print is only dead in US because frankly, you are too lazy for it. Its still thriving in the UK/EU

January 13th, 2009 at 10:19 am

@Steve Vice

I believe I said something very similar to that just a couple of episodes ago. :) Oh and please don’t lump me in with all American’s. I’m my own damn country. :)

WillG

January 13th, 2009 at 6:27 pm

@ Stevie Vice

I live in the USA, so why would I reference Edge or any other gaming mag from overseas when talking about mainstream gaming jounalism. I recognize that EDGE and other mags like Empire are superior to the shallow ad mags that we are left with now that EGM is dead. But since Gamehounds is an American podcast, talking about the death of EGM and print in general in this country, why would I tailor post in the comments sections to the global print media?

Gamehounds and plenty of other podcasts and forums have talked about the difference in distribution in the UK vs the US and that being the big reason why a mag like EDGE could not flourish in this country. To be patronizing and call all Americans “lazy” is lazy thinking on your part. I wouldn’t dare judge all Brits based on your high horse comments, I would ask that you extend the same courtesy to American gamehounds listeners.

@WillG

January 14th, 2009 at 5:09 am

Well. I know Edge may not be the average american taste in reading, but that is also the same reason that print is dead in the US. When a magazine does something that is other than just reporting on the news it fails, or seems not interesting. People still expect world exclusive news coming from magazines. And trying to compete with the internet is a losing battle, the average american needs to recalibrate what he expects from a magazine. And what magazines can offer that internet cannot.

I’m generalizing because, generalizing is the only thing that applies to whether a magazine can be profitable or not. “What are most americans like”.
I really hoped you’d see that, but no.

I’m not faulting you individually, but as a general group, yes thats generalizing, but thats as far as a distinction magazines make as well.

I’m sorry if you felt offended but thats the cold truth.

January 14th, 2009 at 5:53 am

If the paying customers want something different, then I’d say the business needs to adapt to the customers, and not the other way around.

(Of course, in the gaming magazine world, it seems like the advertisers are the customers and the readers are the product, but I’m not the first to say so.)