GameHounds Episode 57: No More And Den

2 Mar 2009

No Commander Tim with us this week, and the show’s a day late.

But it is here, nonetheless.

This week, Cooper Hawkes and Edie Sellers make the most of a slow news week. And yes, we finally talk about the Mass Effect 2 trailer.

When they’re not piddling our pants about what could possible be in store for Commander Shepard, they discuss:

11 Responses to GameHounds Episode 57: No More And Den

proofplayer

March 2nd, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Consider yourself redeemed for delaying hawkes’s geekgasam.

jctrustme

March 2nd, 2009 at 7:18 pm

That Killzone article is really funny, when you mentioned on the podcast about reading it on a Thursday I thought you must have got that wrong but no, this article was written and published the day before the games release. Luckily he explains that he did not just make the whole article up in his next article. Check that out, its linked at the bottom of the first one. To me, it looks like this guy got caught out by a game coming out on Friday and not Tuesday. What do you think?

March 2nd, 2009 at 11:21 pm

“Nobody’s buying Wii games.”

lolwut?

March 3rd, 2009 at 8:06 am

Hawkes may be in the half that went “OMFG/squee!” when Shepard was pronounced KIA, me and the other half went “BULLSHIT!” :)

March 3rd, 2009 at 9:45 am

He’s not dead. Mass Effect 2 is the story of Shepard going on the run for trying to defraud his GI life insurance policy.

March 3rd, 2009 at 3:57 pm

@HeartbreakRidge

My “Squeeee” was over finding out why they think Sheppard is dead, or why he is faking it, or if he may be.. :)

@Maj Malfunction Good God I’m such Bioware’s bitch that if you told me there was a “Get your HMO to pay out benefits” MiniGame I would probably think it’s brilliant.. :)

Cat

March 3rd, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Great podcast!

And some great theories re ME 2. I don’t think he/she’s dead, more that it’s a faked death one way or another and you need to play the game undercover as a fugitive and not as a Spectre.

I really need to read the second book one of these days..

Gamebler

March 6th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Love the show guys. The chemistry between Edie & Hawkes is great, she’s the ying to his yang. Just one thing that I found kind of confusing. When Edie was talking about downloadable games, she said you would have to download and re-install the games EVERY time you wanna switch between games. Hmm… what? You only have to download and install a game ONCE! After that, you keep the game on your HDD, unless you delete the game once you’re with it. Of course, if you wanna go to an all-DLC console, you will need a REALLY big HDD (I’d say a TB at least). It just sounded a little… ignorant. Sorry to call Edie out on it, but it was a little ironic that she was calling that investment advisor out on something obvious to anyone who knows anything about PS3, and then went ahead and made a statement that made just as much nonsense.

March 6th, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I think you misunderstood, Gamebler.

I was saying that, if they went without a Blu Ray drive, then they’d have to devise some alternate storage system or have something like a terabyte drive. If you didn’t want to get an external HDD then you THEORETICALLY just keep the games you are playing at the moment on your HDD and erase as you need space for new games. If you wanted to return to an old game (like I have for, say, Mass Effect) then you’d have to redownload the game and reinstall it. Which is THEORETICALLY possible, but would be impossibly slow in practice.

Sorry if that only came across to Hawkes. While I am ignorant on oh, so many things, this isn’t one of them. I don’t think.

Gamebler

March 7th, 2009 at 10:09 pm

You’re right Edie. I did misunderstand what you were trying to say, and I comppletely agree with you. It would be a terrible pain in the arse to have to download a game AGAIN if I wanted to go back to it. One of the first downloadable games I purchased on the PS store was “Calling All Cars”. I haven’t played that game in over 8 months, but haven’t deleted it from my 80 GB hard drive either, just in case I ever wanna go back to it. Part of the reason it’s still there is because of the download times. I’m sorry if I sounded snarky, I didn’t mean to insult you, I respect and appreciate your opinions on all things gaming. I hope you’re feeling better, by the way. Having the flu sucks!

March 8th, 2009 at 12:31 pm

You didn’t sound snarky at all! Love you, too! And yes, the flu double sucks.