Humpdate 3-11-09

12 Mar 2009

Hey guys. It’s Humpdate time.

It’s the last show where you’ll get all four pods from the GameHounds staff, so swim in it until your fingers get pruny.

This week, you have Cooper Hawkes’ Panties in a Bunch, One Guy Ry the iPhone Guy, Maynard’s Minutes and the Sports Hound. All four shows are pretty damn good, if we don’t say so ourselves.

10 Responses to Humpdate 3-11-09

March 12th, 2009 at 6:36 am

Edie,

I think the background music for the release dates and such is a bit too loud and distracting. The euro-beats overpower you quite a bit.

March 12th, 2009 at 10:04 am

Noted.

Cat

March 13th, 2009 at 8:07 am

I’m surprised to hear that Gamestop was the only place doing preowned games. I thought other places in the US did too?

I’m against preowned games sales as a whole, but I’ve bought them too, for example on old games when they dropped to £5 for two or similar offers. I’ve also sold most of my games before for new titles, so I guess I’ve contributed to the used game sales quite a bit making me sound like a hypocrite..

It’s shocking when the sections for preowned games are larger than the ones for new ones, like I’ve seen many times in GAME/Gamestation and even here in Germany.

March 13th, 2009 at 11:11 am

There are lots of places that buy used games in the US, Cat. And the trade-in values they offer are typically much more favorable than the scenario Hawkes presented in this episode.

And I really don’t think you should feel like a hypocrite. Gaming isn’t a charity. You should spend your money where you get the best value for YOU. It’s up to the developers and publishers (and their seven-figure-salaried executives) to ensure that they’re making enough money to remain solvent.

Cooper Hawkes

March 13th, 2009 at 11:39 am

@Cat

There are smaller places, no where near as big nor as well known as GameStop The fact that GameStop is getting to near McDonald’s in size (Around every corner, there’s another GameStop) makes them the “leader” of used game sales.

@mik

Granted, you are 100% correct, Gaming isn’t a charity and it is up to developers and publishers to work this out. But right now the deck is stacked in favor of GameStop, so even if publishers say “Stop selling used games or you can’t sell our games” GameStop makes enough money to be able to say to the publishers: “Then goodbye!”

In order for a shift to happen where publishers can work a better deal, there needs to be a bigger amount of competition in the used game market here, and Amazon may be able to pull it off.

I hope at least..

March 13th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Publishers make no money from the used game market. So broadening the used game market will save them?

The deck isn’t unfairly stacked in Gamestop’s favor, anyway. In fact, until they ratcheted up their used game program, the inverse was true. Margins are so scant on new games for retailers that the used market is required to keep them growing and profitable.

Publishers would never pull their games from Gamestop anyway, because even though they’re the top purveyor of USED games, they’re also one of the top sellers of NEW games. It’s a real double-edged sword for publishers. But they’re big boys–they’ll figure it out.

Cat

March 13th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

@mik: Yes, gaming isn’t a charity, but at the end of the day by buying preowned games I’m not giving anything at all to the people that made it over x amount of years and that’s a bad thing. I know many people that never buy a new title and just buy preowned even though often it’s not even that much of a price difference.

March 13th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

and end the end, the people that make the games make the same amount of money from someone who buys a used game as someone who pirates it…. $0.00

March 14th, 2009 at 6:07 am

@mik

Broadening the used game market, any form of competition will at least increase the chance that publishers can get a piece of the pie. I have no idea exactly how, but competition always brings more to the table.

Also: I hate GameStop, so while the end result isn’t destruction of used games, hurting them? That’s a bonus to me.. :)

dave19711998

March 16th, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’m surprised that none of the second hand resellers haven’t thought of splitting the profits with the producers of the game.

I know this is unlikely but roll with me for a moment.

Imagine buying all your games from a shop that pays the original publisher or developer a percentage of the second hand game. Wouldn’t you want to buy all your games from them? You could get your bargains and feel that you weren’t ripping off the developers and the company would get some good karma within the industry. No one looses.

I know it is completely unlikely but imagine if a company did this? They would still make a lot of money and the developer would like them as well and the purchaser wouldn’t feel bad for getting a bargain.