GameHounds Episode 62: Guest Roulette

19 Apr 2009

microphoneI have exactly five minutes to write notes, post the show, brush teeth and get to bed.

So, I’ll make this quick. It’s Episode 62, with Tim, Edie and a special guest, listener Blacksphearvoid who was fast on the Twitter reply and won a spot on the show for a night.

Also, in this show is a contest to win Guitar Hero swag. The rare kind.

So do what you must, because, well, you must.

14 Responses to GameHounds Episode 62: Guest Roulette

hammersmith

April 20th, 2009 at 3:12 am

There was no legal grounds in Sweden for this prosecution, this case has been running for years. something fishy happened after the case was almost thrown out many times.

Google is a better illegal torrent search than pirate bay, if you read some of what else has happened to this case, you start to see that the jail time thing spring up.

If a search engine and database of links is now a jail able offence go after Google as the is not that much different…

April 20th, 2009 at 7:42 am

You should clarify how you want people to spell your hashtag for the contest. I’ve already seen people spelling Chewie’s name “Chewy,” as if he were made of nougat.

dave19711998

April 20th, 2009 at 10:55 am

Over here in the UK in the Eighties, there was a monster, similar to Godzilla and it was used to advertise a sweet called Chewitts (or something like that). I’ll try and find it and I’ll have someone take a picture of me punching it. Of course I’ll have Punch it Chewie as the slogan.

My site is http://www.davesworld.org.uk. It’s nice to know that I have at least one listener to the podcast. It would be nice to one be a guest host on gamehounds; I can dream!

commandertim

April 21st, 2009 at 5:38 am

Sorry about the mix-up there, Dave. My brain remembered as a co.uk.

@hammersmith – Again proving that I didn’t pay attention to this due to extreme lack of interest. I stand by what I said though; calling yourselves ‘Pirate Bay’ is an open invitation for anyone to try and take legal pot-shots at you. They should have tried ‘Hug Bay’ or possibly ‘Botany Bay’ (natch).

dave19711998

April 21st, 2009 at 9:30 am

Don’t worry about the mistake, we all make them. That’s why pencils come with rubbers on the end, LOL. :)

I completely agree with you Tim. The fact that the lawyer also had the cheek to compare what Pirate Bay does to a library was a joke (The lawyer was talking to the BBC News channel at the time), and showed such a ridiculous level of arrogance, that I just dismissed the imbeciles for that they were.

A library has to get permission to lend a book, CD and now DVD’s from the licence holder. Can you image the look on EA’s, Microsoft, Sony’s, etc, faces if they did that? Pirate Bay does exactly what it says on the tin and should really be surprised that it took this long for the site and company to be closed down.

Not trying to defend these scumbags but, there are companies that are legitimate that offer illegal stuff, like: Rapidshare, Megaupload and probably many more who make money off the bat in subscriptions and I think these companies should be dealt with as well.

The Lemon of Truth

April 21st, 2009 at 1:15 pm

On a completely unrelated note, Lego Rock Band has just been announced.

April 22nd, 2009 at 4:08 am

@The Lemon of Truth

Oh it’s related.. :)

hammersmith

April 22nd, 2009 at 5:52 am

@Tim, gr8 1 with the botany bay gag.

My issue is not so much that they got punished (god knows that they deserve it) but the level of underhanded bribery that was required to get them punished. it reminds me of the end of the untouchables, but instead of Al being murderer done for tax fraud, it was the tax lawyer done for murder.

@Dave, “I like to chew it, chew it” ;)

Blacksphearvoid

April 22nd, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Roulette, eh? Well always bet on Black.

I was trying to make a comparison between the Pirate Bay software pirates and the Somali pirates from earlier in the week. I t didn’t pan out as well as I had hoped but it wasn’t a complete disaster.

I’ve listened to the episode a few times now to critique myself and see where I could do better. Any suggestions?

And remember:

Ponch-It-Chewie

Blacksphearvoid

April 22nd, 2009 at 5:44 pm

dave19711998

April 23rd, 2009 at 8:21 am

I would say that unlike the Somalians, who have taken physical property, Piratebay do not steel physical property. Where they are they same is, that even though it isn’t something you can touch, both of them cost companies money.

They are both steeling and the result is the same! The company that owns the ship may have to cut costs to pay for the ship to be returned or, worst case scenario, might have to replace the ship and that money has to come from somewhere. I am aware that the shipping company have insurance, but that might take a while for the insurer to pay out.

The same can be said about software companies who employ staff and go bankrupt or have to let staff go.

Hammersmith

April 24th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

First off it is “Somali” pirates, (I’m half Somali, it is no end of irritating how many people including new reporters get it wrong, no offence dave).

What is interesting about the pirates is that the ships are passing what was historically Somali territorial waters, and not paying shipping duties. the Somali pirates are still way behind the American invasions for oil.

Back on topic the pirate bay website did actually steal anything. All they did was point out where to get things from people how had stolen them. they were also a good tracker of legit torrents as well.

I could argue looong into the night about the issues around the Somali pirates but compared to the horror stories I’ve heard from relatives living in Mogadishu, piracy is what these people are forced in to and is a lot cheaper in human life than the previous problems in Somalia.

Cat

April 25th, 2009 at 2:56 am

Woohoo! Yes, you’ve made up for forgetting about me for so long!

Great podcast as usual, can’t wait for Hawkes to get back though!

Cat

April 25th, 2009 at 3:04 am

Oh and re piracy: It allows content to be available worldwide.

Take TV shows: I’m currently in Germany and can only get everything with German dubbing, no option to watch it in English and shows like Lost are far behind. Lost only just finished S4 here last week and in the US it’s almost done with S5 already. Or Gossip Girl which is at the end of S2 in the States and only just started with S1 last week in Germany.

If I was to wait there wouldn’t be a point in watching it any more as it’d be spoilt.

Same with films, the film ‘The Duchess’ came out in the UK sometime last summer and has only just started here, again, only with German dubbing.

Or music. I’d love to have something like a Zune pass here, but first of all we don’t even have the Zune yet and so many artists that haven’t yet and maybe never will release in Germany.

Yeah, I never liked TPB’s behaviour and how they portrait themselves as celebrities, but the whole piracy thing is good in the sense as it makes content available worldwide.