GameHounds Episode 78: The Wetter the Better

24 Aug 2009

microphoneThat sounds kinda dirty. But it isn’t.

It’s actually in reference to Bethesda’s upcoming title, Wet. Edie Sellers got her hands on the final build, and she dishes up the details on the game. In addition, she and co-host Cooper Hawkes fill you in an all the latest news, including:

13 Responses to GameHounds Episode 78: The Wetter the Better

Dom

August 24th, 2009 at 5:08 am

OMG, I can’t believe I waffled on so much, I was sooooooo drunk and its ace to finally hear what I actually left as a message LOLOL

Chris "Leftybrown" Brown

August 24th, 2009 at 6:35 am

For the record, The Married Gamers aren’t the ones complaining about the cost of games, and I feel maligned lumping us in with those folks. I have always supported the Indie game developers & creators. I happily defended games like Braid, Castle Crashers, and the like. Their value to not only my gaming experience and the gamer industry are irredeemable. So I am a bit miffed to be compared to those folks the see cataclysm in a game that may actually cost $15 rather than $10.

As for having an Avatar Marketplace (and other cosmetic DLC) I stand by comments saying that having such a thing is good, and offers folks like me the ability to customize their console & online experience. These type of transaction doesn’t replace game buying for me, rather it’s something I have the option to do when I have the funds to indulge in such things. I’ll ALWAYS take Rock Band tracks over a Rock Band t-shirt.

August 24th, 2009 at 6:47 am

The WET demo was pretty good fun. It plays almost exactly like Stranglehold, which isn’t a bad thing (but it’s almost certainly a rental). Anyone interested in playing the same demo Edie described can download it off the EU PSN store–it went up last Thursday.

Your discussions surrounding “value” vis a vis the avatar store continue to confound me. Calling people hypocrites for buying avatar gear but bemoaning the price of games like Braid–and turning to used games to save money–seem misplaced only minutes after mentioning that you bought The Orange Box used and Civilization Revolution isn’t worth $9.99 but it is worth $4.99 (despite the fact that it’s the exact same game that sold for $30 on the DS).

If the community has an appetite for this stuff, the price will go up, yes. But it will only rise to the level that folks are willing to pay–just like it does in every other market. I think it’s pretty irrational to assume that if people don’t buy this stuff, it will suddenly become free. It just won’t be sold at all if it isn’t lucrative. Either way, you can continue to NOT buy it.

I think you’re probably best served not to tell people how to spend their money. Value is far too subjective. You could chide someone all day and night about spending five bucks on a lightsaber for their avatar, but it would be pretty easy for them to turn around and ask if it isn’t more irresponsible to spend four bucks–multiple times a week–for a pack of smokes that only serves to fill your lungs with shit. You earned it. You spend it on what you like–and give a big “fuck you” to anyone who gives you grief over it.

Commander Tim

August 24th, 2009 at 8:55 am

Wow, a show where there’s angry comments, and I wasn’t on it. Guess I’ll have to listen. :-)

August 24th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Who’s angry?

Oh, you mean lefty. Yeah, he’s a real grumpypants.

proofplayer

August 24th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Yay! Hawkes, and there is mass effect news…just wish tim was on also :( The shows where all 3 of you guys are on are hysterical.

bopeepwolf

August 25th, 2009 at 4:49 am

Good God you people are boring. I made it 24 minutes before I had to just cut you off. My ears were bleeding.

Hoshneer

August 25th, 2009 at 6:41 am

I have to agree with Lefty on this one. The people can spend the money on whatever they want. That’s capitalism. We may not agree that a avatar item is worth what it is selling for but it’s not really our business. In the end if you want it, buy it. If you don’t, who cares. Either way, good show guys.

dave19711998

August 25th, 2009 at 7:35 am

I agree that people have the right to buy whatever they like but, we also know that there is a large section of the public that are too stupid to see what would happen if they buy these micro transaction products.

Apparently; Tiger Woods will be free this year on the PC but, there will be lots of micro transactions. One day there won’t be any physical media and everything will be download only and all we will get is the engine, with everything else as an extra.

Maybe that is far fetched but you have to look at the worst case scenario to appreciate what we have today.

Michael

August 25th, 2009 at 10:07 am

This was my first listen of your podcast and it was very entertaining.
I’ll be sure to follow you from now on.
In regards to your comments about buying avatar stuff you should take a look at this link:

blogkitten

August 25th, 2009 at 12:24 pm

YOU HAVEN’T LISTENED TO THE NEWEST WIDGET YET?!

For shame….

August 26th, 2009 at 4:32 am

@blogkitten

I am ashamed

August 26th, 2009 at 8:29 am

My only avatar marketplace comment is that I think the prices for some of that stuff is just totally insane, but if you want to blow loads of scratch for that kinda crap, knock yourself out. As long as it doesn’t take away from putting out quality games/DLC, in only serves as a source of bemusement.

Remember when Horse Armor was soooooo outrageously priced? How quaint!