GameHounds Episode 79: None More Wet

30 Aug 2009

microphoneThis week, Cooper Hawkes, Commander Tim and Edie Sellers are definitely the wettest trio in gaming podcasting.

In addition to our regular show, we had a visitor drop by: Patrick Fortier, creative director of the upcoming third-person shooter Wet (yeah, we know, Edie called it a first-person shooter. Honest tongue slip). Patrick offers a huge amount of insight to the game, what it’s like, why it’s like that, and where did they find all that great music. It’s quite a look inside the inner workings of how developers bring a concept to reality — while also being dropped by Activision.

Yeah, he talks about that, too.

Just when you think it can’t get any better, we also cover news of the week, including:

18 Responses to GameHounds Episode 79: None More Wet

Tom

August 31st, 2009 at 6:39 am

I tried, I gave it a shot for few weeks, but I just can’t dig all this amateur crap. I know some people just love that, but they are sadly mistaken, you are neither reporters nor real gamers and act like superior to both.

So long and I hope you tank!

dave19711998

August 31st, 2009 at 7:17 am

The cost of the Playstation 3

PlayStation 3 is going to cost them $800 per unit at launch (they list $900, but apparently Lynch financial analysts can’t add their own totals). $800 per unit?

Commander Tim

August 31st, 2009 at 9:12 am

@Tom: I think if you were looking for hard reporting, then yeah, you pretty much wasted your time.

August 31st, 2009 at 9:21 am

I hope Ubisoft gets around to finishing BG&E2 at some point, but their reticence is totally understandable. That game is about as far from a sure thing as you can get–except maybe a Psychonauts 2. ;)

August 31st, 2009 at 10:29 am

Why not come to the STL?

Our DnB is 10 minutes away from the airport (30 from my place).

sadly though, I havnt been there yet…

Wallless Fury

August 31st, 2009 at 10:31 am

nice show once again, and no matter what @Tom says, (it would be sad if he was the myspace guy lol) you guys kick ass! still didnt get a shoutout from Tim like he said, but oh well 1 is good enough for now!

Commander Tim

August 31st, 2009 at 11:27 am

Ah yes, the shout-out I promised…

It got lost in the shuffle somewhere between beer numbers 4 and 5.

The lesson here: alcohol makes you funnier.

I do hope the shout-out on The Widget made up for this oversight in the slightest way though. :-)

WillG

August 31st, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Good show, but I must disagree with Tim on one point. You called Shens on Kaz Hirai when he publicly stated that the PS3 slim is selling at a loss. Unless he and the Sony PR staff are completely brain dead, you must take him at his word. Sony is a publicly traded company, therefore any statements he made about the cost of production of the flagship hardware of the gaming division must be completely true as they may have an effect on Sony’s stock price. The last thing Sony needs is the SEC breathing down thier necks.

Elven6

August 31st, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Great show but you guys seem to be a bit off about the Halo 3: ODST thing. Microsoft said they will only punish those Halo 3: ODST gamers who get a pirated copy early. Consumers who buy the game at a store early and apparently have proof of purchase (aka receipt) can enjoy the game early.

September 1st, 2009 at 3:14 am

@Elven6,

But how will they verify this? Do we have to fax or scan then e-mail the receipt? It just feels like a lot more work for the consumer when it’s MS’s fault this happened.

September 1st, 2009 at 4:56 am

Listening to Mr. Banhammer on the latest Major Nelson podcast it sounds like they know where the stocks of ODST get shipped, and if you are in an area where they know some discs have been shipped, you are ok.

Elven6

September 1st, 2009 at 9:41 am

CooperHawkes: I’m not 100% sure although on the recent Major Nelson podcast Stepto said playing a pirated version of the game will result in a console and Xbox Live ban so I assume they are only going after those that play Halo 3: ODST pirated on Xbox Live?

I wouldn’t say it’s Microsoft’s fault, it’s mostly the fault of the employee who sold the copy early at the store. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc have to ship out copies early for titles that are guaranteed to sell really well in a short amount of time. If they don’t, a lot of people will be going home empty handed on launch day.

And Edie, I disagree about Beyond Good and Evil 2 selling a “fuck ton of copies”. Here in Canada Ubisoft did resort to giving the game away for free with cheese purchases recently. :(

It’s like the Dreamcast, everyone loved it but no one bought it! :( (software mostly, but it goes hand in hand)

dave19711998

September 1st, 2009 at 10:23 am

I would have to agree with Elven6.

Why would Beyond good and Evil 2 sell well just because people heard off it? Then can you explain why Psychonauts didn’t sell?

Everyone’s heard of Tim Schafer and his so-called funny games. They know that he makes polished games but it tanked. That’s the nature of this business.

jsslifelike

September 2nd, 2009 at 1:58 am

Great show yet again- I REALLY enjoyed the WET developer interview. Mr. Fortier’s passion really makes me want to “pity purchase” the game, but with all of the special editions I have yet to pay for(Assassins’ Creed II, Dragon Age), it’s just not going to be possible. That being said, I may pick it up at a lower price point during a lull in releases. I do wish the game to have relative success this fall as there seems to be huge amounts of passion behind it.

As for Sony, they have the road map drawn for success, but will they capitalize? Now that we see the GoW Collection being released on BD for the PS3, the haphazard manner of BackCompat disposal makes MUCH more sense. I think we’ll see an Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection in the same manner in the future as well.

Keep up the good work and here’s to more great listening in the future.

September 2nd, 2009 at 3:03 am

I still don’t understand why the hell if you already have the copies of your game at retailers a month before release, you let it sit a month before you start selling it. WHy not just release it when its done?

September 2nd, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Heh. Good to return from Burning Man to see so much discussion about the show.

To answer your question, comparing Psychonauts with BG&E2 is apples and oranges. Psychonauts tanked because Majesco did *NO* publicity for it. The publisher failed to do WHAT A PUBLISHER IS SUPPOSED TO FUCKING DO! Majesco did everything short of packaging it with a malaria-infected blanket to ensure that it wouldn’t sell. (Yes, that is indignation because even now, people somehow blame the game for not being a financial blockbuster).

I guess it’s true, I could have said “Assuming that the game is properly handled and publicized like every other hotly anticipated title, then it would print money.”

Commander Tim

September 3rd, 2009 at 12:42 pm

WillG:
“Unless he and the Sony PR staff are completely brain dead…”

Exactly.

dave19711998

September 4th, 2009 at 3:06 am

Your right about Majesco not investing any money into Psychonauts. The first time I heard about the game, was on 1UP and they were reminiscing about how it never sold.

Never sold I thought. I’ve never heard of it. So I went out and bought it.