GameHounds Episode 90: Bayonetta Esta Porrrrno

6 Dec 2009

microphoneHey, it’s Sunday! And it’s early Sunday.

And there’s a GameHound episode waiting for you! Huzzah!

This week Cooper Hawkes, Commander Tim and Edie Sellers bring you the very best of gaming news from the week (and all the off-color discussions you expect).

The gang discusses:

12 Responses to GameHounds Episode 90: Bayonetta Esta Porrrrno

December 6th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

It’s entirely possible that I owned (and, erm, wanked to) Neurodancer on the 3DO. One of my proudest moments, to be sure.

(btw, the MAG beta ended last night–you may want to belay the next couple weeks of code reading. ;) )

superslug

December 6th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

weird that an xbox game is buggier than the PC version.

There would have had to be 8 different voice actors to voice the lead characters. That would have been expensive and I think that is probably why it is not acted.

Scott Jacobs

December 7th, 2009 at 6:07 am

Seriously?

Ok, I’ll admit to partially understanding that MS hate regarding Datel’s MUs (ignoring for the moment the fact that an 3rd party making an unlicensed product for anything probably doesn’t have that thing’s best interest at heart, and is technically breaking at least one copyright/trademark). In fact, Datel’s own site, and the directly conected “Codejunkies” shows exactly why MS killed the use of 3rd party MUs – “Codejunkies.com is Datel’s consumer site, where we provide content including cheat codes and saves for our range of best-selling game-enhancers.” Yeah, damn “M$” and it’s money-0grubbing ways!

The hate over MS banning people who use exploits, however, is insane.

Yes, the ability to switch to your semtex, “start” your throw, and then swap back to a launcher (and then explode like a bomb when killed) exists in the code of the game.

So have certain terrain and LOS glitches in most every multiplayer game ever put out. I mean, the game ALLOWS me to get inside the walls of a certain map, when I can’t be seen or hit but I can see and shoot others, so it is obvious that I’m supposed to be able to do it, and God Forbid anyone say anything about it! It’s in the code, so it’s ok. Right?

No. Obviously not, and to suggest that anything that exists in the code is OK is silly. It’s one thing to be Speedy McKniferson, or Double Shotgun Dude, as those are obvious game-mechanics put to use in ways that – while perhaps not intended – are out there in plain sight.

It is quite another thing to use an obvious glitch.

Stepto (it is pronounced “Steptoe”, a small point that for reasons I can’t name only infuriated me further) had an analogy that is directly on point – “If I install my car stereo wrong and it disables my door locks, it’s not ok to STEAL MY CAR.”

As for why it has taken SO LONG (Jesus, when did a couple of weeks become an unforgivable delay) for a patch, Infinity Ward has had a patch into MS for at least a week now, the only delay being the MS certification process to make sure the patch doesn’t break the game. And baring that, I’m certain that it isn’t easy patching such an unintended action without it affecting anything else.

MS has banned people before (they have always, as a matter of fact) for glitching and exploiting in multiplayer games. If a complaint is filed, or a member of the Policy Enforcement Team witnesses it first hand (they do play online and watch for it), they suspect you (it should be noted that that’s what these are – suspensions, and not full bans). The fact that people are only just now hearing about it because of the huge base of people playing Modern Warfare 2.

That’s the only reason you heard about this – so many people have the game, the number of glitchers is high, so you hear more bitching.

If there was a similar glitch in the MP for “Soldier of Fortune: Payback”, no one would ever know, because it was a shit game that no one played.

December 7th, 2009 at 7:04 am

I would just like to say I take a minimum of two dumps a day, and that easily gets me through all of the articles in Game Informer and Official Xbox Magazine that month.

December 7th, 2009 at 10:35 am

LOL @ stepto’s analogy being “directly on point.” It’s one of the most idiotic, tortured analogies I’ve ever read.

Elven6

December 7th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

The Microsoft certification process is to ensure the patch won’t break your console, destroy your game saves, etc.

Microsoft has always banned people for cheating on Xbox Live, I personally remember such things happening in Perfect Dark Zero in 2006/2007.

The report feature does not work like that, reports are filed and complaints are investigated. You can file 1 report, or 100 reports, you won’t be automatically banned for obvious reasons. Microsoft doesn’t reveal all of their methods for obvious reasons. (the biggest being hackers can find a way around it). Xbox Live Gold is a paid service, if they let cheaters run rampant people would complain no one did anything, when Microsoft does do something, people still complain!

Microsoft only banned most 3rd party memory cards because they allowed you to hack your gamerscore and possibly the game itself. While this won’t have much of an effect for anyone who never connects to Live, if you do connect to Xbox Live you can run into issues by ruining the fun for everyone else by say, giving yourself infinite ammo in MW2.

All of this is covered in the Xbox Live T.O.U., the thing you have to accept to use Xbox Live. I’m sure PSN has its own T.O.U. that is policied by Sony. Even websites like IGN, Kotaku, etc have them.

Hawkes: You brought up an interesting point, but perhaps some people are “drawn” towards Bayonetta, or game characters in general because it gives them an added level of interaction. Many games make you feel for the characters on an emotional level, maybe for some people it goes beyond that? I too prefer real women so I could be completely off base here. :p

Proof

December 7th, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Allister in da:o, you know his voice from
uncharted 2 Edie. He is your new English buddy at the start

Doug

December 8th, 2009 at 8:55 am

About the “dumbing down” comment from the Mass Effect 2 producer guy. I don’t really care too much about the difficultly levels, especially if they offer Nightmare levels of difficulty as an option.

What I don’t like about many (not all) modern games is the dumbing down of features; for example, Deus Ex 1 to Deus Ex 2 (and I’m guessing Deus Ex 3 will follow suit).

Doug

December 8th, 2009 at 10:16 am

And Derby isn’t pronounced the way you said; its pronounced “Dar-be” or “Dar-by”… I know, its not the way its spelt, but thats what its called.

December 8th, 2009 at 2:40 pm

MS isn’t Banning for the Javelin exploit as much as they are suspending. Banning is permanent, suspension is temporary.

Odd that Edie thinks that suspension for exploiting is not acceptable as she was an MMO player and that is the norm for exploiters in MMOs if not full bans.

I was a senior guide for EQ during my 5 year addiction to it. A big part of that was busting exploiters. We knew which areas had exploitable content, the devs didn’t fix it, so we had to police it. Unlike MW2, we would catch them in the act and give them a warning. If they had multiple warnings, they got suspended, if they had multiple suspensions it resulted in a banning.

I would guess that IW can identify the exploiters not by just a report, but by looking at tracked stats and seeing how a person has multi kills with a javelin repeatedly which also result in a suicide for them. Pretty easily confirmed to me.

Carolyn

December 9th, 2009 at 1:07 pm

With regards to Tim and his assertion of how certain acts diminish once a relationship hits a certain point: he’s full of crap. :)

December 9th, 2009 at 2:47 pm