GameHounds Episode 94: CES In My Pants

10 Jan 2010

microphoneYes, kids. It’s CES week, and that means there’s lots to talk about. Finally.

After a couple weeks of almost nothing of note to discuss, Cooper Hawkes, Commander Tim and Edie Sellers are happy to oblige and hit their favorite stuff coming from Las Vegas.

Topics this week include:

9 Responses to GameHounds Episode 94: CES In My Pants

seanakin

January 11th, 2010 at 1:43 am

I don’t mean to rub this in, but I’m wondering if Activision’s E3 lawsuit regarding Brütal Legend wasn’t some kind of rope-a-dope move designed to give EA a false sense of pie-in-the-sky confidence over the game’s chances, thereby setting them up for their eventual failure. I hate to say this, but for as much as ATVI was laughed at for its lack of media relations handjobs at the conventions (while EA was praised for being a PR slut by comparison), at the end of the fiscal year, they were the ones able to show a profit while EA was forced to decimate its development forces after finding themselves awash in red ink.

Perhaps I give ATVI more credit than they deserve, but hey, they knew (or at least, SHOULD have known) damn well what Brütal Legend entailed, and while I agree they epitomize corporate evil, it cannot be said they are the least bit stupid.

Oh, and the decade ain’t over yet. So there. :p

ABACAB72

January 11th, 2010 at 4:11 am

I just listened to the podcast…Hawkes didn’t finish reading the quote about how IPTV works. It was mentioned that the 360 would work like a Media extender, true…but he said that it would be used with a PC running Windows 7 OR an IPTV master box (provided in this case by AT&T). So, you would have your main box that they give you, and then you could stream your video and record and do all the other stuff to that main box with your 360. So, essentially, instead of getting another set top box for your TV (which you need with AT&T’s U-Verse), you can just use your console for that…you don’t really need to have it going through your PC. The IPTV will have Mediaroom software in it (once again, provided by AT&T).

Hope that clarified things a bit.

January 11th, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Too bad you guys shut Edie down so quickly–I’d have liked to hear what your beef with Facebook games is, exactly. Because I’m having a hard time coming up with a reason NOT to put Bejeweled Blitz among my top 10 games of 2009. And I played that primarily on Facebook, in competition with my friends.

Commander Tim

January 11th, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I have no problem with FB games personally, just had to give Gamer “I’m hardcore and if you don’t play GTA IV then you’re not a gamer” Edie a hard time. :-)

January 11th, 2010 at 3:09 pm

LOL–yeah, there’s that. Don’t forget that you also have to attend Tokyo Game Show.

Hammersmith

January 11th, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Eddie, an A320 engine is tested with a cannon launching dead turkeys into it when it is running. A CD box would NEVER harm a jet engine, or they would fall out of the sky….

a former aeronautical engineer, and always a fan

Hammersmith

January 12th, 2010 at 7:23 am

I’m surprised Edie did not mention that there is a possible FOUR way in Dragon Age Origins…

Oh, thanks very much for the Chromehounds sendoff! Music was a nice touch.

Carolyn

January 12th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Hawkes – thank you for chuckling at Tim’s softly uttered “head crabs” when referring to the LHC. Glad I wasn’t alone. :)

gamerEdie

January 14th, 2010 at 12:16 am

Wait! There’s a possible four-way in DAO?!?! How did I miss that??

Googling furiously now.