Episode 108: The Great iPhone Debate

27 Apr 2010

microphoneWow. What a week. So much to talk about, so little time.

This week, Cooper Hawkes, Holy Goalie and Edie Sellers chat up the good, bad, and ugly in the gaming news world. Topics include:

11 Responses to Episode 108: The Great iPhone Debate

MajMalfunction

April 27th, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Much much better than last week’s show. Back to what we expect.

Hoshneer

April 27th, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I totally agree with Hawkes on this one. I don’t even comprehend how you can see it any other way. I think that douche editor was lucky someone didn’t do worse to him. I would not be surprised if he didn’t try to sell the the info to other companies.

April 27th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

As far as the whole Violent Video Game legislation, they were talking here in Boston on the radio about that, and brought up a good point.

These people want to criminalize selling video games to teenagers, but are perfectly okay letting these same teenagers baby sit their kids.

What is wrong with that picture ?

Borehammer

April 28th, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I actually think being outed by Gizmodo is why the guy gets to keep his job and should thank his lucky stars that they did that, as douchey as it is.

Since this whole fiasco became public, Apple would look really bad for kicking a guy to the curb for making an honest mistake that most people have made themselves regardless of the circumstances.

Sure, he probably won’t be trusted with anything top secret anymore, or constantly having to deal with the office “comedians”, but at least he’s not stuck in the unemployment line.

P.S. Hawkes, I agree with you about Ebert. He’s trolling again and we just keep taking the bait!

April 28th, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Hawkes is right on all counts in the iPhone debate. Buying and selling stolen goods is illegal–always has been. It doesn’t matter if it’s “just a cell phone.”

Oh, and Chen’s home IS his office.

Hoshneer

April 29th, 2010 at 6:40 am

@Borehammer I didn’t really consider that but you make a very good point. I think we have all done something close to that. That’s why when I go to the bar I always set up my iPhone with the lock code. lol

deathwalker

April 29th, 2010 at 8:37 am

Hawkes make be right, but that doesn’t make Edie wrong, stick to your guns Edie. He should have got the Cracken!!!

Spazmat

April 29th, 2010 at 9:35 am

I kind of agree with some of the points from both of you. It does seem a bit like the gestapo, but then again, it could be seen as a 6 million dollar issue (Justin May’s theft was around that figure, remember?). I don’t, however, agree that Gizmodo outting the guy was bad. He must have already had reported lost or stolen to Apple, and I’m sure he had to sign it out and Apple had the serial number. Once they got it back, even if he hadn’t reported it, they would just have to see who had signed it out last or who it was assigned to. Either way, I’m sure Apple was already aware of who had lost it, so Gizmodo wasn’t really outting him, now were they?

Elven6

April 29th, 2010 at 10:53 am

Hawkes is right, case closed. A prototype was lost, sold, etc. What if that isn’t the final iPhone 4G device and merely an off the wall prototype? Stock prices could be affected, competitors can see what the design is and copy it, etc, the possibilities are endless! If I recall correctly, REACT was formed solely for stuff like this, to help Silicon Valley companies deal with theft, leaks, etc?

Apple is simply following the law, any company in their position can do similar regardless of who is involved.

You can’t compare the Hydrophobia thing, Hawkes didn’t steal anything, money was not exchanged, etc. That comparison is so far off that I’m at a loss for words right now! ;)

Also, the Gizmodo’s editor worked from his home hence the search at his house.

And enough with all of this “oh the guy would have been fired if Gizmodo didn’t out him”, it had been nearly a month since the prototype was lost, I think the engineer would have be fired long before Gizmodo posted the info. Gizmodo lost my respect the moment they outed his Facebook, Twitter, etc to the public. The guy protected his tweets shortly after that and I’m sure he did something similar for his Facebook profile. Name is one thing, but beyond that… Besides, Apple probably realized he had lost it since they remotely bricked the device.

On the videogames ban thing, I’m surprised Schwarzenegger is backing stuff like that given films like Conan, Terminator, etc but he is in a unique position now so even if he thought differently I doubt he could say much. Just me guessing of course.

Borehammer

April 30th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

@Elven6
Ah, I didn’t know it was that long before Gizmodo outed him, but it just might earn him a stint on SNL.

PC: “Hey Mac, I didn’t know you drink.”

Mac: “I don’t, I was dropped here by this guy.” (points to Gray Powell)

Gray Powell: “Live from New York, IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!”

Sean

May 3rd, 2010 at 1:04 pm

All I wanna say is, great show, folks. Better than Cats!