Halo Over-Reached

In: Articles by Dave "Holy Goalie" Gardner

3 Sep 2010

halooverreachWhen is too much, too much? When does too much become nauseating? And when does nauseating become a turnoff? That’s what Microsoft is doing with their marketing of Halo Reach. When they announced that this was the most expensive marketing they have ever done for a game, two words came to mind. “Ya, think?”

I understand that Halo is a hugely successful IP, and for a lot of people it’s a big deal. But please, can you get it out of my face for a least one second?

Every time I turn on my Xbox, the first thing I see is something about Halo Reach. The second thing I see is something about Halo Reach. The third thing I see,… well, you get the point. For the last few weeks I am getting inundated by Microsoft about this upcoming title. Every day there seems to be a new trailer, a new interview, or some kind of new video. I just can’t get away from it. It’s so out of control that on the cover of OXM magazine and on 99 of the 100 pages inside (maybe a slight exaggeration) there was more coverage of Halo Reach.

I’m not a huge Halo fan, I owned Halo 1 and 2, and I’m familiar with the game, it’s just not my cup of tea. But if there was the slightest chance of me buying this game, Microsoft has so turned me off by being in my face, it’s not going to happen.

Like the old saying goes, you have to know when to say when. And as far as advertising this game goes, when was a long time ago.

This doesn’t just pertain to video games, it goes for all things. TV shows, movies, concerts, political ads. You can only take so much, and then it becomes a nuisance and a turnoff and you want no part of it no matter how good it may be. By now, anyone who has electricity must be aware of the new Halo Reach game that’s coming out, with the exception of one or two people in northern Canada and a few small villages in Bangladesh.

So can you please stop pestering me on my Xbox every day?

We get it. It’s going to be huge. It’s a big deal. Now stop. This may be the best game of all time, and I’m already sick of it because it was “overreached.” Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to play some Headshot 2.

7 Responses to Halo Over-Reached

Gemini Ace

September 3rd, 2010 at 6:47 am

Halo is Microsoft’s biggest first party title and arguably the biggest title to be released this year on the 360. Of course they are going to advertise it. Personally, I don’t mind seeing it. My excitement is off the charts for this game. Bring on more commercials! The live action stuff is amazing.

September 3rd, 2010 at 7:14 am

GA, it’s just too much.

If they did this with Red Dead Redemption, I never would have bought it.

Gemini Ace

September 3rd, 2010 at 12:53 pm

RDR isn’t a first party title. Remember how many copies Halo 3 sold? Halo sells consoles. No other first party titles can say that except maybe Fable.

Just breathe it in like a good cigar or fine wine. It feels so good to let that warm Halo goodness envelope your entire body. Let it caress you tenderly. Gently. Passionately. Become one with it. Feel the firm buttock of Noble 6 in your hand.

Too much?

Troy

September 4th, 2010 at 3:27 am

I ALWAYS prefer to have less marketing over too much. Halo Reach has too much marketing. Doesn’t everyone who’s going to buy it already know about it? I agree

Scuigi

September 5th, 2010 at 1:46 am

There has to be a seriously diminishing return the more they spend money hyping this. It doesn’t make sense that there are enough new players that wouldn’t have bought it otherwise to justify that kind of advertising expense.

¿Está siendo Halo Reach excesivamente publicitado? | TodoREACH

September 5th, 2010 at 10:11 pm

[...] FUENTE: GameHounds [...]

Chris "FighterAce100" Salazar

September 6th, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Goalie you really don’t enjoy watching the mini-Halo movie commercials?? I think those are totally awesome considering a movie was put aside for now. Sure its a ton of ads but hey thats what you expect from Halo!

best essay au twitter