Amazon Lists PS Vita Release Date?

In: Articles by Edie Sellers

21 Jun 2011

It’s hard to know if this is just a wild guess on the part of online retailer Amazon, or if it’s something official. But either way, when we see something in print, it merits a mention.

Amazon is currently listing the PS Vita as having a release date of December 31, 2011.

What makes us thing that this might not be the real date and just a guess? Well, first off, December 31 is kind of a round number — it is the last day of 2011 and therefore it would be the last possible day that would hold to Sony’s “holiday 2011″ promises.

Second, it’s almost a week after Christmas. And let’s face it, Christmas is the Holy Grail of commerce. If a product manufacturer wants to really capitalize on the whole buying frenzy, it would behoove them to release it before the big day.

Third: European retailers are showing a release date of November 4 — also widely considered to be a guess. And considering that lies more than a month from Amazon’s listed date, it’s a sure bet that at least one of them is very, very wrong.

We suggest you expect a real drop date somewhere between those two. But if it turns out December 31 is the magic day, remember: You heard it here first.

9 Responses to Amazon Lists PS Vita Release Date?

Wallless Fury

June 21st, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I think its just a rounded date, I mean, I looked at the MGS Snake Eater 3D and its release date is 12/31/2020. amazon does that alot if they dont know the exact date

DMO TIME

June 22nd, 2011 at 7:53 am

Neither dates. It might be a september release, just like the first psp release date if any. Otherwise I’d go with a late october to mid november.

Jared

June 22nd, 2011 at 8:03 am

It most definitely won’t be before Sept (Sony said more information on the Vita will be announced at TGS 2011, which is at the end of September)..October at the earliest though I doubt it. It won’t launch in November due to the cannibalism of all of the HUGE titles releasing that month, AC: Brotherhood, Uncharted 3, and residual sales from COD… that would just be bad.. So I’d say either Early December..if not.. then expect it early 2012… Sorry to bust your bubble but the odds are against Europe on getting a Sony Console before the rest of the world. I’d say Feb-April at the earliest for them.

jerk

June 22nd, 2011 at 9:15 am

Noooooo this is wrong.Am I the only one who shops Amazon??. First off look at dates for some of the other unreleased games…hmm Last Guardian DECEMBER 31st 2011 TOOO!! WHat a miraculous day that New Years Eve would be.Instead of ignoring my family and playng the games I got for Xmas, as they drink champagne and discuss how ths is the year theyll lose weight.

Other games listed on December 31st include Sly Cooper,Resident Evil Racoon City and Metal Gear Rising on November 1st 2011…

Amazon is told by publishers the general release window…you see PSV would be before the end of this year and the last possible date of this year is TADA !!!!!12-31-11

This is a meaningless placeholder and those other games could come out before or after those dates(which I expect all of them to do) We may get Vita beforehand…it’d be stupid not to..I know I want one…depending on how much ATT charges for 3g Ill make up my mind on which model

D_JeRkY

June 22nd, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Ok, let me clear this all up so no one else gets their “Premature Jizz” on. If there is one thing I learned from working at GameStop…(And there aren’t many) it’s that when anything came up with a December 31st, 20** date, it meant one of two things: 1) They haven’t decided a date and will announce one before the year is up. And B) It’s coming out next year. 9/10 the latter has shown promise every time. Let’s not forget that Sony is known for having most of it’s past releases in Spring, March being a key month for Sony. Still, there may be hope and who knows, they may be the one company that actually releases a product on December 31, 2011. It will just hurt more that they might miss an opportunity to bring in Holiday Revenue on the Vita. We shall see.

June 23rd, 2011 at 12:32 am

D-jerk:

While I would normally agree with you about the whole March thing, Sony did say at E3 that it was coming Holiday 2011. I would be skeptical of that, except that it’s only six months away. Which means, by even saying it, that the Vita is pretty much finalized and going to production in a couple months.

If we were going to see a delay until March 2012, I wouldn’t expect to see them being so firm on a date so close to the announcement. I mean, if they’d have said at E3 2010 that it was coming Holiday 2011, then yeah, I could see a three month push. But saying it in June 2011 means that they are pretty damn convinced it’s hitting by end of year.

My 0.02

Dewayne brendon jack

June 23rd, 2011 at 2:01 am

i belive that sony should bring out the ps vita around these two months november or december since they are the biggest shopping months of the season. in november you have black friday then christmas in december sony have to make up for there lost time compare to the nintendo ds 3d which came out a few months ago…

June 23rd, 2011 at 11:13 am

Jack Tretton said–the day of the announcement–that the Vita would launch in Japan before the end of 2011 and in all other territories by the end of Sony’s fiscal year, March 2012. There’s no way it comes out in the US until February–none.

Wallless Fury