GameHounds 221: 99 Problems and the Xbox Ain’t One

29 May 2013

It’s a sad thing when the day you thought the world would change, it does, but not for the better.

The GameHounds gang is suffering from severe expectations hangover after the big Xbox One reveal. Holy Goalie is pissed, Edie Sellers is scared, Nick Dinicola… well, Nick’s just Nick.

It’s pretty much a one-topic show devoted entirely to the Xbox One announcement and the various rumors and semi-confirmations—followed by backtracking and retractions—after the big Microsoft presser.

Topics include:

• Xbox One. Dude, it’s really all about the Xbox One.

7 Responses to GameHounds 221: 99 Problems and the Xbox Ain’t One

A Friend

May 30th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Don’t let the conference bother you, don’t let the questions that are left hanging detract you from what’s good. And what’s good is coming.

May 30th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I know. In my brain I know, but my heart is so very worried about everything we’re hearing. And even if it has all those horrible features, I know it won’t be as bad as I fear. There won’t be Big Brother staring at my tender nethers and listening to the sweet nothings I whisper to my husband.

But where there’s the unknown, there’s inevitably fear. And until Microsoft steps up and just blurts out what the hell is really going on, I’m just going to sit in the corner, muttering to myself, and be afraid.

My tin hat is designer, I’ll have you know.

A Friend

May 30th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Think of Steam’s model. Someone Microsoft considers a direct competitor. Now think about all the press Microsoft is getting leading up to its press conference in 11 days. a week later everyone is still talking Xbox One. Sony wishes Playstation 4 got that much press. And now whose press conference is going to be watched more? Crazy like a Fox Microsoft is.

May 30th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I don’t know. I mean, yes, I’m sure they calendared it so they’d have the most steam (pun intended) coming into E3. But I also don’t think they expected the hate they got.

The fact that the day-one “confirmation” that there’d be a full-game MSRP fee for used games now being not confirmed tells me that they are even now rethinking strategies even as they approach E3. My gut tells me that there’s been quite a few meetings in Redmond in the last week that have centered solely on how to make this more palatable to the Xbox faithful.

There’s “talk” about a console and then there’s pure “hate” about a console. So far, I have yet to see anyone not from Microsoft in the media saying that the Xbox One’s features are wonderful. Not even the media-center part. At best, it’s been “meh,” but the vast majority of articles and blogs are either scared or pissed off.

A Friend

May 30th, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Which is disappointing to me frankly. Prior to the May 21st show it was specifically stated that games would be discussed at E3. So who failed, Microsoft or the media?

When has Microsoft’s execs been out of line with each other over upcoming products? Nearly never, they are almost (robotically) on point with what is going on. Yet here at the reveal of the new console each one had something different to say? That’s either gross incompetency or a brilliant tactic. The media are jumping on top of each other to be the next one coming up with the “bad news for Xbox One!” article. No one’s mention the PS4. Now Major Nelson is saying on his twitter that he’s working on getting “answers soon” and “we’re listening” of course they are. Now clear some of the air before E3, to reassure that MS knows what they are doing, then try and wow them at E3. MS knows they can’t win the opening salvo without the core even though it’s not the core they are now marketing for.

Lastly, and this is very important. Aside from “always on” do you honestly think that the Used Games piece is something that Microsoft just thought up? I guarantee you that Sony has had to do something similar. Why else would EA suddenly no longer need the 10 dollar Online Code?

Philip Leone

June 3rd, 2013 at 7:18 pm

As always, great podcast gang! Thanks!
And Goalie, I ironically got stuck in the same area you mentioned in Metro 2033, got lost, frustrated, and quit playing, but always wanted to try it again. I decided to try Last Light when it released without ever going back and finishing 2033 and can easily say Last Light is one of the best games I played this generation. I absolutely loved it! I’d recommend playing Last Light (on PC too) without having played 2033 as it’s a much more polished game. I’m planning to try 2033 again very soon.

June 3rd, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Actually, the podcast I just posed 20 seconds ago (episode 222) has Goalie playing Last Light. And he liked it too, mostly.